Threadcity Photo Gallery

Windham's Bridges

<<Click on any photo to see larger version>>


The American Thread "bridge"The American Thread "bridge" that welcomed travelers to Willimantic between 1916 and 1998



  Most historic bridge in WillimanticThis bridge is one of the most historic in Willimantic, but few know of its existence. It is pictured here in a 1939 aerial view. The bridge was built under electric floodlight in 1880. It is well known however to those who worked at the American Thread Company. It was the connection to Mill Number Four, the large cotton mill destroyed by fire in 1995.

 Lyman Jordan's 1857 stone arch bridge Lyman Jordan's 1857 stone arch bridge pictured in 1900. It is being traversed by a horse and buggy, but the introduction trolley cars to Willimantic in 1903 instigated a movement to build a new highway bridge.
 
Lyman Jordan's 1857 bridgeLyman Jordan's 1857 bridge, now a decorative walkway and part of the Windham Mills State Park, is pictured in 1906 looking west
 
Willimantic footbridgeThis 1908 aerial view of the Willimantic footbridge clearly shows the bend in the construction caused by its hurried construction two years earlier.


Willimantic footbridgeThe Willimantic footbridge can be seen from the Willimantic's Union Railroad Station in 1910.
 


 
Bridge to Mill No. 4 
 
Bridge over the horseshoe bend of the Shetucket River This bridge over the horseshoe bend of the Shetucket River on Bricktop Road was replaced in 1987. Note its camelback steel truss construction, a popular design for highway bridges before World War One. Note the weight limitations on the sign to the right.

 Wooden covered bridgeSouth Windham's historic wooden covered bridge was replaced in 1910 to accommodate growing automobile traffic
 South Windham's covered bridgeThe entrance to South Windham's covered bridge, photographed a century ago. This was the first bridge over the Shetucket River.


Foundations of the Jillson MillThe foundations of the Jillson mill pictured shortly before bridge construction began in early 1999.

Southwest view WillimanticThis is a circa 1837 drawing by John Warner Barber of the southwest view Willimantic. The Windham Manufacturing Company's cotton mills can be seen on the left. This wooden bridge over the Willimantic River was constantly being damaged by floods, and was eventually replaced by the largest stone arch bridge in Connecticut, built by Lyman Jordan in 1869
1869 stone arch bridgeJordan's magnificent 1869 stone arch bridge still carries Bridge Street over the Willimantic River. The view is looking west, and the mills in the distance belong to the Windham Manufacturing Company. The photograph was taken in 1891.
Lyman Jordan's 1869 Bridge Street Bridge The largest stone arch bridge in Connecticut (1869-1908), Lyman Jordan's 1869 Bridge Street Bridge is pictured looking east down the Willimantic River in 1908.

Stone arch bridge in 1920A trolley car crosses the stone arch bridge in 1920, revealing the need for a new highway bridge - a bridge that would not be built until more than 60 years after the demise of the trolley cars.
 


   

Location Unknown

Bridge over the Shetucket River

Bridge over the Shetucket River

Lovers Lane Bridge
       
  <<Back to Galleries Index>>