Threadcity Photo Gallery

Willimantic

Click on any photo in order to see larger version


The Thread City


The Thread City. Look at this photograph carefully. It is the frontispiece to the H. W. Rich's Thread City publication. But is this actually Willimantic? If so, where was the photograph taken? Also, can anyone name the buildings? We suspect that this is the photograph of another town, and that somewhere there is a book that boasts a picture of Willimantic.


Courtesy of Vin Crosbie
   
Courtesy of Vin Crosbie
       

Town Hall


Windham's beautiful town hall, built in 1896, and located on Main Street in downtown Willimantic. It has changed little since this 1909 photograph.



 

 







 



Buckingham House

The Buckingham House, partially visible on the right, was razed in preparation for the building of the new Post Office.





Post Office - 1910


This picture was taken during the construction of the old Willimantic Post Office. The building, constructed with Indiana limestone, was finished in 1910

Post Office - 1912

The recently completed Windham Post Office, pictured in 1912. It is now home of the Main Street Cafe Restaurant

 
Post Office - 1921
       

   
 
Natchaug School
Original wooden building
 

 

 


 

   
Natchaug School - 1957

 
   
 
First District Schoolhouse.

 This building sat on the corner of Windham and Valley Sts. It was razed in preparation for the building of what would be called the Frederick R. Noble School.
 
 
First District Schoolhouse
 



Windham Street School Children 1904
(this school replaced Dist. 1 school)


 
           
Second District Schoolhouse
Located near Linen Company
 
 
Windham High School
Prospect Street Facade


This rare picture ishows the Prospect St. façade of the original Windham High School. It was built in 1896 was destroyed by fire in 1913 This picture was made from a collection of glass negatives.

The first Windham High School,
destroyed by fire in 1913.

 
A colorized version of the
Windham High School postcard.

 
View of the first Windham High School
 from Windham St.

 
 
 
Windham High School - 1913

 
 

Normal School

 
Normal School
Under construction
 



 
   
 
Model School

Originally built as the Model School
for the Normal School, it was later renamed
for longtime prncipal Frederick R Noble.
 

Architect's rendering of new Model School for Willimantic State Teacher's College. It replaced the original model school which was destroyed by a fire.
   

ECSU
Ffirst dorm north of Prospect Street 
     
 
State Trade School

This building started out as the Turner Silk Mill and later became, as the sign says, the State Trade School. It stood on the corner of Valley and Bank Streets.
 
Trade School


Young men are working on their projects as part of their Electrical Department course work at the Willimantic Trade School which was located on the corner of Valley and Bank Streets

Trade School
 



       
       
 
Willimantic Almshouse

The Willimantic Almshouse was built in 1877. It provided assistance to the needy and poor of the borough. They lived there worked for their board on the establishment's farm. It was demolished in the 1950s. The Friendly's Restaurant stands on this site today.


 


Willimantic Water Works
 Pumping Station


The Pumping Station is located just across the border in the town of Mansfield, Connecticut. It was built in 1888, and is still used to pump drinking water to area residents.

 Willimantic Water Works 1936
Construction of the treatment facility (the dam had been built many years before). The 1889 History of Windham County, Connecticut by Richard M. Bayles says, “Yet another fine drive, but somewhat longer, is the one north through Mansfield street to the Storrs agricultural school. On this route is passed the Willimantic Water Works pumping station. The Natchaug river is dammed at this point, forming a beautiful lake, with grounds laid out very tastily as a small park.

 
Willimantic Water Works


That same book by Bayles gives a fairly comprehensive history of the Water Works, including this piece, "A dam and pumping station, and engineer's house were erected at Conantville, about one and a half miles north of the village, on the Natchaug, and a reservoir was built on Hosmer mountain, south of the village."


Willimantic Pumping Station
       

Pumping Station - 1904

 

     
       

Willimantic Reservoir

Willimantic Reservoir
 
 
Saint Joseph's Hospital on Jackson St.
 
This is an early photo of Ward "C" at St. Joseph's Hospital on Jackson Street.
 
 

1925 graduates of Saint Joseph’s Hospital Training SchoolThese are the 1925 graduates of Saint Joseph’s Hospital Training School. The hospital had a two year, three month training program. The grads from Willimantic are Mary McKenna on the far left and Mary Moriarty on the far right. The hospital served the community from 1907-1933
 
 
 

 
 
Clark Maternity Hospital

<<click here to read Tom Beardsley's
article on the Clark Maternity
Hospital>>
  

Doctor Mason's Hospital - 1922

Doctor Mason's Hospital
       
     
Windham Hospital Dedication
Governor Wilbur Cross at the Cornerstone Dedication Ceremony at Windham Community Memorial Hospital, April 12, 1932
 
Main Street

 
     
       
 
Willimantic's Main St.
The north side of Main Street is pictured in this 1937 photograph. The Union Shoe store can be seen on the right in the Murray Block. Going up Main is the A & P grocery, the Wilson Drug Company, Bill's No. 7 Restaurant, the First National store in the old Shea Block and the Bay State Drug Company in the Loomer Opera House Block

 
The Willimantic Gas
and Electric Light Plant


Willimantic Fairgrounds


Willimantic  Public Works Dept. GarageThis is the old Willimantic City Public Works Dept. Garage. It was built in 1903 and was originally used as a trolley barn for the Willimantic-Baltic Trolley
 
Park Spring
Jackson Street looking North
     
 
Windham Textile and History Museum

The Windham Textile and History Museum located at 157 Union/Main Street, has occupied the Willimantic Linen Company's 1877 company store since it was founded in 1985 by Laura Knott Twine.

Willimantic Elks Lodge 1311
on Pleasant Street

Nativity Scene


 
     



New Willimantic Cemetery
     

Looking East from
Windham Mills smokestack

 

 

 

   



 
View from Footbridge
 
   
Unknown Location -
Posibly from Campground
     
       
     
 
<<return to Galleries Index>>