Threadcity Photo Gallery

South Windham

 

. South Windham HouseThe Fitch School (aka Pine Grove Seminary) operated in South Windham from 1848 until 1867. It was conducted by Dr. Jabez C. Fitch (1815-1885), who prepared boys for entry into Yale College. The school building pictured here was erected om 1855, and by 1905 it was purchased by Smith and Winchester and became the South Windham Hotel. The hotel was known primarily for its saloon and a pathway between Smith and Winchester and the saloon was called "Whiskey Alley".

South Windham Road and Jordan Lane This is the intersection of South Windham Road and Jordan Lane.



Old Route 32 in South WindhamRetired Willimantic Fire Captain Joseph “Al” Beaulieu provided this information about this picture. “The brick building on the left of the photo is the present gray vinyl covered building on the northeast corner of 32 and 203. The second and third buildings on the picture’s left are gone. RT 32 then curves right (at the small house almost in the middle of the picture). That is today’s Old Windham Road and is the original RT 32. That small house is the one just before the gas station. The big tree in the center of the picture is still there and is showing the effects of the ’38 hurricane. “Al” pointed out that you can still see the same branch configuration. A few years later, the present day 32 as we know it was constructed.

Smith and Winchester
 
The Obwebetuck Hotel opened in either 1888 or 1889. It was popular as a summer resort and also used for such gatherings as the June, 1889 First Annual (Windham?) High School Alumni Banquet. .
 
Machine Shop HillThis is the intersection of Machine Shop Hill and where the Old South Windham Road becomes Babcock Hill Road (a short block off of Route 32). The white building with the columns was divided down the middle, with the Post Office on the left and Celia Johnson's little general store on the right. Smith-Winchester’s factory is in the background.
 
Tree Planting at Guilford Smith LibraryWe received a note from Helen Card who was present when this early 1940s picture was taken at the Guilford Smith Library in South Windham. It was the dedication of a tree from Obwebetuck Grange in memory of the men and women in the armed services. The tree was planted on the library lawn and it is still there.
 
Murdock's StoreMurdock’s Store was on Babcock Hill Road in South Windham. The Murdocks sold Moxie, homemade ice cream, lemonade and other confections to workers at Smith Winchester and to people waiting for the trolley
 Babcock Hill Road schoolhouse - South WindhamThe schoolhouse was bought by Morris Kerachsky (Morris Hardware). Here is what Ada Kerachsky Albright told us. " The stone for the terraces in front of the house came from the blasting for the Case Gymnasium which had just been built. The stone fireplace which my father built over two or so years was built with field stone from near my grandmother's farm in Lebanon. We were told that the Norway maple tree on the lower north side of the lawn was planted by students of the school. "

Babcock Hill Road schoolhouse - South Windham. . It was one of the nine district schoolhouses in the town of Windham.

 
Backus Brothers StoreThis is the Backus Brothers store in South Windham. Standing outside are Joe (the butcher), George Backus, Henry Ormsby and Charles Palmer.
 
   
Fulling Mill Dam
(East side of Pigeon Swamp Road)
 

   
 
Murdock's StoreMurdock’s Store was on Babcock Hill Road in South Windham. The Murdocks sold Moxie, homemade ice cream, lemonade and other confections to workers at Smith Winchester and to people waiting for the trolley

South Windham F.D. at Smith-WinchesterPerhaps early 50s? Photo courtesy of
Mike Tirone
 
Doctor Rose's Sanitarium
Houston Institute
By December, 1892, the Obwebetuck Hotel had been leased by “The New England Houston Narcotic Cure Company”. Dr. W.D. Waller of Columbia was appointed as house physician. By 1897 it was known as Dr Rose’s Sanitarium. On April 4, 1907 a devastating fire completely destroyed what by then was called Grand View Sanitarium. 16 inmates escaped the fire
     

 
Doctor Rose's Sanitarium - South WindhamThe photo entitled “Cozy Sleeping Room” was taken from an advertisement for Dr. Rose's Sanitarium.

Smith Winchester Workers
 
 
       
       
       




       
       
       
 


   
       
<<Back to Galleries Index>>