Threadcity Photo Gallery

Postcard Series

 


 
In 1948, a company from Boston, Tichnor Quality Views, published a wallet of colorized postcard views of Willimantic, Coventry and the University of Connecticut printed on linen-style paper. They provide a valuable
 historical document of life in northeast Connecticut more than seventy years ago.
 TThe front cover of the folder features the Windham Town Hall.  
The back cover provides Greetings from Willimantic.

 The Nathan Hale Hotel was built in 1925, and was one of the finest hotels in eastern Connecticut. It lost its popularity after World War Two because of the advent of motor hotels, and the lack of parking spaces downtown.
 
The Connecticut State Armory on Pleasant Street, built in 1912
 
The Nathan Hale birthplace in Coventry. Captain Hale was hung by the British as a spy in the Revolutionary War, and is famed for saying that he regretted having only one life to give for his country.

 The Willimantic Post Office was built in 1911, and now serves as a brew pub and restaurant, the Main Street Cafe.
 
 The 1870 Congregational Church on Valley Street pictured with its ivy
laden east wall. The ivy had to be removed as it was destroying the brickwork. Note the small spire, replaced after the 1938 hurricane destroyed the original spire.
 
Windham High School dates from 1913, and became a Middle School
 
The 1876 St. Josephs Roman Catholic Church without its spire, destroyed in the 1938 hurricane.
 
The original Windham Memorial Hospital, built in the 1930s and greatly expanded since.
 
St. Mary's Church Roman Catholic Church, built in 1903 for the city's growing French Canadian population. Its ornate spires were replaced in 1956.
 
Looking west up Main Street from Lincoln Square.
 
The Willimantic River, looking west from the footbridge.

 
The famous American Thread bridge welcomed visitors to Willimantic from 1917 until 1998.
 
The University of Connecticut campus at Storrs pictured shortly after its postwar landscaping project.
 
 The Willimantic Country Club, the headquarters of the Willimantic Golf Club.
 
The University of Connecticut's Wilbur Cross Library was replaced by the Homer Babbidge Library in 1978, but this fine building still dominates the campus.
Following are other postcards of
Willimantic thar are
not part of the previous series......
   
  <<Back to Galleries Index>>