Threadcity Photo Gallery

Churches/Religious

<<Click on any photo to see larger version>>


Ebenezer LutheranOrganized originally as the Swedish Evangelical Lutheran church. The Swedish Lutheran Church dominates the corner of Oak and Summit streets in this 1896 photograph. Swedish immigrants had organized "Den Svenska evangeliska Lutherska Ebenezerkyrkan av Willimantic" on November 17, 1889. The church was built in 1893/94, and partially rebuilt after a  1916 fire.

Saint Joseph's Roman Catholic ChurchSt. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church was built in 1876 on Jackson Street, financed by the borough's first and second generation of Irish-Americans. Up until the Civil War, Catholic church services had to be held in secret. A Belgian missionary, Father Florimond de Bruycker was also a central figure in the building's construction.

Methodist ChurchThe Willimantic Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1829. The building gave its name to to Church Street.  It was built in 1848, and demolished in 1974.

Saint Mary's Church
St. Mary's  Roman Catholic Church, built in 1903 for the city's growing French Canadian population. Its ornate spires were replaced in 1956. 

 Saint Paul's was organized in 1882 and in 1883 the first St. Paul's Church building was erected at the present site. It was a gingerbread style church, which came in three sections from Central Village. During the turn of the century many Syrian people joined the church, and the little church was bulging at its seams. In 1912 the present church was built. "



The original St. Paul's Episcopal Church building and Parish House

Saint Paul's Church and Parish House






   


Congregational Church
The Willimantic's First Congregational Church was built in 1869/70, thanks to the generous donation of land and funds from the borough's wealthiest Congregationalists. It lost its fine spire in the 1938 hurricane.
       

Baptist ChurchThe Willimantic Baptist Church was organized in 1827 and the church was built in 1844. It was designed by the renowned Mansfield architect, Edmund Fitch.

The Lathrop HouseThis is the Lathrop house which stood on the corner of Union and Washington (now Clark) Streets. The first Roman Catholic Mass in Willimantic was celebrated there in 1847 by the Reverend John Brady of Middletown.
 
Immaculata Retreat House

 Saint Joseph's School (app. 1892)Father Florimond DeBruycker is on the left. Sister Onifried and Father Lawlor are on the right. Joseph F. Paulhus is third from the left in the front row.
      <<Back to Galleries Index>>