Threadcity Photo Gallery

Businesses - Post-1930

<<Click on any photo to see larger version>>


Goettlich-Bacon Furniture Store.

Fronted on both Main and Union Streets.

The Elite Restaurant

"The Elite Restaurant". It was located at 829 Main St. (probably in the Hotel Hooker) and run by Thomas F. Shea. Its slogan was, “The place that convinces”.


Butler Dairy

Butler Dairy was located on Storrs Road just over the town line in Mansfield. Many people remember the original Butler Dairy Bar which was located at the right side end of the building. It was a popular place because just in back of the dairy property was a swimming area.


Butler Dairy

Butler Dairy was bought out by Deary Brothers out of Webster, MA. This building was finally torn down to make way for the RT 6 project in the 1970s. The business moved to Hope Street but later went out of business

Church Street

Here are the occupants of the pictured buildings in the 1950s:2-18 Church St – Murray Building ; 20-24 Church St. – Chronicle Building ; 28 Church St. – Hartford Cleaners ; 34 Church St. – Methodist Church ; 44-52 Church St. – Pomeroy Block (44 - Brennan Electric ; 46 – Vacant ; 48 – Windham Electric ; 50 – Vacant ; 52 – Noheimer’s Market

Willimantic Frozen Food Store

Swift's Meats and Food Store at 640 Main St. In the 1950s it was known as the Willimantic Frozen Food Center. The building was demolished as part of the the
 redevelopment program of the 1970s.
 

Jack Roan's

Jack Roan’s garage on the northwest
 corner of Valley and Church Streets.  At the time, the garage specialized in tire repair, road service, lubrication and Motorola radios. In later years it became Jack Roan’s appliance store


 
Jack Roan's
 

Lindy's



Horn's Garage Wrecker

The picture was taken shortly after WWII. Photo is courtesy of Pete and Nate Horn. According to Pete, " ...back when my father and grandfather owned what later became "Collin's Garage". It has the original phone numbers before "Harrison" when there were just 4 digits.... The garage: 1501, and our house: 2214.

Insulation Products Company - South Street

The “Insulation Products Company” which produced insulated wire and was located on South Street. It was later reorganized as “The William Brand Co.”.

Sussman's Super ServiceAt the time of the photo, the service station at 1125 Main Street was owned by Morris Sussman. Besides Sussman's Super Service, other businesses located there throughout the years include Ben’s Dependable Used Cars , Potters Oil Burners, Willimantic Auto Repair and Kelley’s.

Center Street GarageT
he Center Street Garage was torn down during Willimantic’s redevelopment period. In the late 50s it was run by Amos Marceau and then in the 60s, it was run by Norman French. When it first opened, it was run by Theodore Brochu. It also housed Charlie’s Welding Shop which was run by Joseph Morin
.

 
Jim's Coffee Spot

Susco Service Center

Susco Service Center was located at 1310 Main Street. In the '50s , Bob Jacko's Tire Shop was located on the right side of the building. The Pizza House was located there in the '60s.

William F. Lennon’s monument business.

 It was located for over 20 years at 18-20 Watson Street.
 
Cities Service station

The Dahl Oil Cities Service station was located at the c
orner of Main and Wilson Streets. The building at the extreme right is the old Ives Bros. Ice & Oil Company

Shirshac's Garage

When this 1960s picture was taken, the service station at 1068 Main Street was operated by the Shirshac Brothers. It was originally part of the Ideal Tire Company and then became a car repair shop. By the fifties and into the mid sixties, the Shirshacs had ran the garage until they moved to Jackson Street

 First National Store on lower Main Street.

The original store was called Economy Grocery until the Economy chain was purchased by First National. After several moves, First National’s final Willimantic location was at 1202 Main Street until its closing in 1973. At the time of Willimantic’s redevelopment program, the building that this business finally left was considered as a possible location for some of the displaced businesses but the proposed rents would have been too high



Benny's


Benny's was originally located at 801 Main Street

Benny's



This was the Benny's location at Main and Windham Streets. It was originally built for the Jordan Auto Company.

Fred's Fruitland.

Fred's Fruitland was run by the Calise Brothers and was located at Cardinal Square in Sodom. It is remembered by many for the quality of the produce sold there and the high degree of friendly customer service.

Saba



Tanner Block Businesses

By 1944, the Tanner Block had become home to the First National Stores, Center Pharmacy and Contos News Dealers. The building was demolished in 1951 and replaced by the new Enterprise Store.

Miner Motors

 

 

 
First National - 457 Man Street
The original store was called Economy Grocery until the Economy chain was purchased by First National. After several moves, First National’s final Willimantic location was at 1202 Main Street until its closing in 1973.

 
Watson's Garage - West Main Street
The Goodyear Gas station is on the current site of Papa's Pizza's parking lot.

Photo courtesy of Jennifer Wadsworth


Phosey Saba's Package Store

 
 



Italian Garden





Leiss Velvet



 
Joe's Keyway
 
Joe's Keyway
 
Joe's Keyway


 

 
Ideal Taxi


 
Brett's Pharmacy
 
Hallocks


 
Rob Roy Jewelers

 
Shirshac Brothers Garage

This 1960s picture shows the service station at 1068 Main Street that was operated by the Shirshac Brothers. It was originally part of the Ideal Tire Company and then became a car repair shop. By the fifties and into the mid sixties, the Shirshacs had run the garage at this location until they moved to Jackson Street




Tastee Freez - Uncle Ken's


Campus Shop



Lucky Strike Bowling Alleys


First National Store
Threadmill Square

Anthony and Slater Grocery Store

Water and Air
Photo courtesy of Paul Goettlich

Interior - Bill's No. 7
Photo courtesy of Tina Garceau

Original "The Clark's" Restaurant

The Clark's Restaurant


The Cave - nightclub
Photo courtesy of Paul Goettlich




Courtesy of Kathy Giraca
 
Cote's Package Store
Cote's
 

 

 



 

The Shell Chateau was built in 1936 and was named after a nearby gas station. It was completely destroyed by fire in the early morning hours of July 14, 1979.

 



 
 

 

 

 


 

Todds
Photo courtesy of Chuck Straub
 











 
     

     
       
      <<Back to Galleries Index>>