Threadcity


Threadcity Photo Gallery
Buildings


Hebard Tavern
The historic Hebard Tavern at the junctions of Windham Road and Pleasant Street, or the junctions of the old New London and Middletown turnpikes. It was built by Guy Hebard in 1825, and was Willimantic's first public house.


Eight sided house
 A Willimantic landmark! This unique eight sided house was built in the 1880s by a local carpenter named Charles Beckwith. It stood on the northwest junction of Summit and Walnut Streets in Willimantic's prosperous nineteenth century hill district. It was demolished in the late 1930s, and was one of the few octagonal houses to be found in Connecticut

Dr. Thomas Morton Hills Hospital
Dr. Thomas Morton Hills Hospital stood on North Street behind the building occupied today by Quinebaug Community College (Todds). It was built in the 1880s and demolished during redevelopment in the early 1970s. Hills was a noted surgeon, an expert in the swift amputation of limbs. Note the Methodist Church at the rear which stood on Church Street, and which was also demolished in 1974.

Johnson House

The sign says "Hotel Johnson" but it started out as the rebuilt Potter’s Tavern (known as “The Tremont”). It later became known as Young’s Hotel and then as the Johnson House. It was gutted by fire in 1915. The old Nathan Hale Hotel was built on this site.

Buckingham House
The Buckingham House was demolished in 1909 to make way for the new Post Office. It stood on the corner of Main and High, and is pictured here in 1907

Victorian homes
Beyond its cotton thread and railroad links, Willimantic is also renowned for its magnificent Victorian mansions. Here's a view of a few of them, built during the 1890s on Windham Street in the city's famed hill district.

Savings Institute building in the '30s

This 1930s picture shows the Willimantic Savings Institute clock. The Hotel Hooker is on the far left. In the mid 1930s, the Savings Institute building was also home to “The Great A&P Tea Co.”. The next building to the right was “The F&W Grand 5&10”.





   

Youngs Hotel, Nathan Hale Hotel

This photograph was taken between 1892 and 1894. It depicts the north side of main Street, looking west. The main building visible is Youngs Hotel. Young's later became known as The Johnson House Hotel. This was demolished in 1925 to make way for the Nathan Hale Hotel. Also note that there is no Post Office building (1911) or town hall (1896). But the building that houses the former Victorian Lady Restaurant can be seen (1892).

William Curtis Jillson House

The William Curtis Jillson House is located on Route 32. It is pictured here in 1876.
 
  .  

263 Prospect Street

Turner
 

 

Courtesy of Paul Goettlich




       


 





    <<back to Galleries Index>>